Thursday, November 6, 2008 at 11:30am.
To all my willows friends and my ratty brothers, and my little sister, and my cousin and my brother-in-law and all the rest of you who text messaged me and sent me private facebook messages and commented on my note yesterday, I would like to clear some things up:
First, I feel the need to quote Yeats in that "the best lack all conviction while the worst are full of passionate intensity." because I will concede that too often liberals go for the jugular and forget that voting is a *very* personal thing. You are electing someone to do a job for you, and we don't all have the same needs and we wouldn't all hire the same person. I come from an extremely conservative catholic family. Four of my brothers work on the stock exchange. They file taxes quarterly, run their own business and often pay taxes in the six figures. It makes perfect sense that they'd want a republican in office. I don't bemoan their personal choices and I agree, that if they were interviewing for the *job* of president they'd want someone who represents their interests. That’s how democracy works. I don't understand liberals who think they have a right to criticize the way people vote and I’m NOT NOT NOT that type of person or that type of liberal. My friend Dan made a very good point in saying that that is NOT liberalism, in thought or in practice. I really despise fanaticism in all forms, and I hate that Obama has ceased to be a politician and is now a global celebrity. I elected him for the job of president. And I am elated, giddy even, that he won. But I want to be honest about why I voted for him (besides the fact that I’m a democrat-duh)
Well, to be honest, I voted for Clinton in the primary purely out of principle. I would like to see a woman president. I am not ashamed of that. So I understand why black people would vote for Obama out of principle; BUT I don't think that people who voted for McCain did so because they're all racists, and I don't think Obama won because we've overcome racism in this country. but I’m optimistic, oh lordy I’m optimistic.
I have many, many conservative friends. And I somehow lost three of them on facebook yesterday after I wrote that note, which I am stupefied by. I don't think it was a "divisive rant" as most of the messages and comments claimed. I woke up on wednesday morning (after three hours of sleep but still exhilarated from the night before) to status updates that read "say goodbye to your jobs" and "that's it, I’m moving." one of my more colorful friends took a picture of her mouth open and updated her status to read, "I’m throwing up in my mouth." and it was funny! And all those things, I believe, are perfectly fine to say! You republicans heard it all (and much worse) for 8 years. We called bush an idiot, we deplored local policy that he had nothing to do with, we insulted his character, we even picked on his monkey-like physique! So, I was totally okay with people voicing their (warranted) disappointment over the election results. All I said (on my personal page, no less) was that if you wanted to move, if you wanted to give up on America because the very process that defines democracy has disappointed you, then GO. I think that was totally justified. If you're threatening to leave it's not divisive for me to answer, "Okay. Beat it." and pointing out the differences between democrats and republicans is not divisive either. WE HAVE A TWO PARTY SYSTEM. acknowledging that we are different will not keep us from working together. like it or lump it there are conservatives and liberals, red states and blue states, THAT IS HOW VOTING WORKS. and it is not going to change. we're not going to "overcome" our political differences. unity DOES NOT equal conformity. We all believe in america. I will always vote differently than my brothers and my catholic friends. We will always have different viewpoints and that is what makes arguing so much fun! I would be so bored in utopia...
I would never criticize your personal choice of who you think best represents your interests.
I would never condone or participate in fanaticism of any sort. Obama's victory rally was out of this world! I am so grateful that I got to go, and so proud to say that I was a part of that historical moment. But conversely, I would never riot or key cars if my candidate lost and I am embarrassed and ashamed for people who do. That’s not democracy. That’s totalitarianism... we can't force people to vote the same way we do. THAT IS NOT DEMOCRACY.
I've read the transcripts of both speeches and they're very very different without all the fanfare and theatrics in the background. and really, I don't think much is going to change in the next four years; it's a loooooong road and I don't think obama is going to swoop in like a superhero and save the entire world. (i love him but not as much as i love batman).
AND I am a democrat. I didn't vote for obama because he's OBAMA, I voted for him because my husband and I have a combined student loan debt of almost a hundred thousand dollars and I’m going back for more. I voted for him because my parents are retired (my dad had a stroke then an aneurysm and my mom has non-hodgkins lymphoma) and they have no health insurance. I voted for him because I am not wealthy and I live in an urban area and, statistically, that is who votes democratic.
I voted for him, simply, because FOR ME and MY NEEDS he was the best person for the job.
COMMENTS:
Jacqueline: Personally? I want someone who represents not just my interests, but those of the poor, the sick, the elderly, the young, the abused, the uneducated, the Iraqi children, the troops in Iraq (yes, I support them, and yes, I understand that MANY of them are themselves opposed to our involvement there), the try-to-get-a-college-degree-without-going-broke, the single parents, the kids trying to get out of the ghetto, the trees, the ozone layer, the hybrid cars, the alternatives to toxic energy sources...
It's about so much more than my own pocketbook. That's why Tuesday night felt like being a part of something much bigger than us.
November 6, 2008 at 1:49pm
Elizabeth: loved your last note, Grace. Just as I love this one. There isn't a politician out there that can be everything to everyone, and a difference of opinion amongst friends and family is unavoidable. Extremism is never fun to deal with, but t...his particular politician just meant A LOT to YOU and all you did was talk about it... nothing extreme about that. Just watching the speech on t.v. was pretty intense and your post gave me an entirely different perspective on the night. I voted democrat this election for the first time in a long time, and for my own reasons. You are more than entitled to be happy for the election outcome and I, personally, am glad you shared.
November 6, 2008 at 2:54pm
Tranette: Wow. I'm REALLY sorry that you lost friends because of your note! That's really crappy and heart breaking for me to hear. I guess it was too soon for them to be able to deal with McCain losing. It's not the mature way to deal with the situation but hey, it is what it is. To be honest, this election was the one I went into thinking that I may have to lay party affiliations aside because we needed THE BEST POSSIBLE LEADER for this country! Not like picking the lesser of two evils, but someone with America's best interests at heart and for me, God sent Barack Obama to star in my political wet dreams. I believe IN HIM not just what he says. He inspires the WORLD, probably the UNIVERSE and for anyone to blind themselves to that, just because he isn't who they wanted, warrants someone saying, "Peace out." You basically laid out your case and called a bluff. Bad Grace! But, as you said, it's divisive to say you're leaving. Hell, I said it about McPalin. I don't think they had America's best interests at heart, just their own agendas but I wouldn't be angry with their supporters if they had won and were celebrating. But I am a mature, open-minded, dead sexy, individual...
November 7, 2008 at 7:51pm
Grace: I don't know about mature, but I will DEFINATELY agree on the dead sexy part...
seriously tranette? I adore you.
November 7, 2008 at 9:33pm
Tranette: Hey! I'm totally mature, I just haven't given up my childlike enthusiasm! And that adoration is sent right back at cha, baby.
November 10, 2008 at 4:20am
No comments:
Post a Comment